SWU Global Engagement 2019-2020
Houston, Texas: Spring Break March 7-14, 2020
- Destination: Houston, (La Grange) Texas
- Dates: March 7-14, 2020
- Approximate Cost: $150 This will cover all your trip expenses, including a short relaxing beach excursion.
- Team Leader: Wes Pate Team Size: 8-10 Full
- Team Travel: A road trip in a SWU van, with an overnight in a nice hotel.
- Mission: This trip will be hurricane relief ministry with Samaritan's Purse. SWU will join with dozens of other university student teams in the construction of 25 to 35 houses for those who lost their homes to Hurricane Harvey.
- Application Deadline: Full
Kenya: May 16-27, 2020
- Destination: Kenya
- Dates: May 16-27, 2020
- Approximate Cost: $1900. Team Size: Full!
- Team Leader: Dr. Paul Shotsburger
- Mission: This is an academic missions trip designed for those who desire to use their major in a cross-cultural setting. Education majors are especially encouraged to participate, but all majors are welcome. We will be staying in Kisumu, the third-largest city in Kenya. We will have about a week in-country, including a weekend for attending worship service(s) and doing some sightseeing. We will partner with a non-profit organization called Transforming Nations (transforming-nations.org). They have been in Kenya since 2015, and we will come alongside them to work with kids in their orphanage, minister to street kids, and teach in a local school.
- Informational Meeting: Monday, Sept 30th @ 4pm
China: July 6-19, 2020
- Destination: China Cancelled due to Coronavirus.
- Dates: July 6-19, 2020
- Approximate Cost: $1500. Team Size: 10-12
- Team Leader: Dave Tolan
- Mission:Teaching English and building relationships. Partnering with Teach Abroad China, https://www.teachabroadchina.org/ and their in-country partner, Beijing International Educational Exchange. This will be a two-week-long English camp hosted at high schools in Beijing. Our team will be resourced and will provide a creative, immersive English camp experience. There will be opportunities for sightseeing including The Great Wall of China.
- Application Deadline: March 30 @ MySWU / Global Engagement